Friday, July 20, 2012

Updates & Pediatricians

Updates: 

- I had my 36 week appointment on Tuesday and while I haven't gained any weight - still standing at 19 lbs total weight gained - Michael is also quite small. According to the midwife's measurements, which I'm sure aren't 100% accurate, he's probably just a little over 5 lbs. She thinks he'll definitely be on the smaller side. As long as he's a healthy baby, I don't care what size he is! (Although I really hope he doesn't have a growth spurt and become a 9 pounder) Next appointment is this Tuesday, hopefully Michael will have gained some weight and hopefully I will have made some progress in the effacement & dilation process...gross I know. 
- I received and unpacked my (Michael's) carseat! It's awesome and I'm so excited to take him home in it! I have the Graco Snap n Go stroller frame which works out perfectly for it. It's quite handy for quick outings or shopping. The other, more awesome stroller will be for longer outings and walks when he is a little bigger/older. 




Pediatricians:


Wednesday night I had my first pediatrician interview with a doctor whose practice is about 15 minutes away. They have 3 doctors on staff and one nurse practitioner who is also a lactation consultant. It was a group information session so there were about 5 other expectant couples there but they were all super nice and one of them was actually in my birthing class a couple weeks ago. 
From that night, I learned a few things about what topics should be discussed with the potential pediatrician:
- Vaccination schedule - how aggressive the doctor's are about vaccinations
- Antibiotics & homeopathy - how the doctor feels about using antibiotics in some situations and homeopathy in others; whether or not they constantly push for artificial remedies
- Accessibility - how soon your child can be seen in case of illness; walk in hours; emergencies;  doctor availability etc.
- Respect - whether the doctor is willing to work with parents and respect their particular wishes when it comes to healthcare, all within reason and still while promoting the best interest of the child
- Affiliation - which hospital the doctor is affiliated with so he/she can perform the first infant evaluation after birth; in case child is hospitalized during childhood, the doctor can easily enter and provide care for him/her
- Personality & approachability - whether the doctor is someone you feel comfortable interacting with, expressing concern to, standing up to (if necessary) and feel comfortable entrusting your child's care to
- Location - parking, accessibility, distance from home - all important things to consider


I really liked the pediatrician I met, but I have 2 more potential doctors to meet with, one this wednesday night, so we'll see who ends up being my baby's doctor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment