Sunday, August 26, 2012

First 2 weeks with Mr. Michael :)


I’m finally getting around to updating about my new and exciting life with little Michael at home! I (wrongly) assumed that he would mostly sleep all day and that I would have all the time and energy in the world to blog about him and the adorable things he does. Having this little munchkin around is quite time consuming but it is 110% worth it. He puts a huge smile on my face all day every day and I really cannot imagine life without him.



We were all very much excited to come home on Thursday, but a bit nervous as the nurses wouldn’t be around to help or tell us if we were doing something wrong. The night went really well; he woke up on schedule for his feedings every 2-3 hours. I would breastfeed, David would burp him and change the dirty diapers. Perfect system. Unfortunately, M’s daddy had to go back to VA late that night/morning which made me even more nervous and anxious about having to take care of M all by myself without any help. Saturday morning was Michael’s first doctor’s visit. Nothing really exciting happened, he was weighed, measured and his circumcision and umbilical cord stump were inspected. He cried the entire time; poor thing doesn’t like doctors very much. I had to breastfeed him in the car in the parking lot afterwards in order to calm him down and fill his little belly so he would take a nice nap for the ride home. His next appointment is in 2 weeks.

Temperament:
Michael is the most peaceful little baby. Without exaggerating, he rarely cries. I can count on one hand the amount of times he’s had a cry session since being home and even those times that he did cry, it was pretty short lived. He is awake for a few random hours throughout the day during which he loves to just look around and hang out either on his boppy pillow or in his bouncer. He is incredibly alert and is very good at focusing on objects or faces. His eyes will be wide open and he’ll turn his head towards sounds or whoever is talking to him. Such a smart little baby already!
When he is upset or wants something (the boob) he makes a little “ahh!” sound which gets increasingly loud and demanding if it goes ignored. He kind of sounds like a squawking bird when he does it. It’s super cute!
He loves being held, although I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m the one with the boobs that feed him. In the mornings he likes to hang out on my bed in his boppy pillow and look out the window or take a little catnap while I wake myself up completely. He then comes and chills in his bouncer in the dining room while I eat breakfast. The whole time he just observes his surroundings, taking it all in.



Feeding:
While we were at the hospital, I couldn’t breastfeed right away due to the infections/fevers I had, so he was started on formula from the bottle. He had a lot of trouble latching on and feeding him was quite difficult and caused us and the doctors to worry. Once he got the boob, however, he became a total pro at feeding and now refuses the bottle entirely. I exclusively breastfeed him and he loves it. For the majority of the day/night he is on a good schedule of feeding every 2-3 hours or so. However, he recently began cluster feeding in the mornings, so from about 5am to 10am, he will want to nurse every hour to hour and a half. It’s extremely exhausting so when he sleeps in between those feedings, I do as well. I’ll still usually feel like a zombie afterwards, but after that, he’ll take a huge nap for about 4 hours or so, allowing me to shower, eat, rest, update my blog, etc. I spoke to a nurse about this, and based on his weight gain, he’s just going through his 2 week old growth spurt! Yesterday I decided to start giving him a bottle of pumped milk 1x per day in order to help him practice his bottle latch. I won’t always be home to feed him in the future, so it would be good for him to be capable of taking a bottle. Overall, it went well, but he still needed a lot of chin support. I’m not worried, he’ll get the hang out it!
In between feeds, he is very good at producing massive poopy diapers/wet diapers. So I know he’s definitely getting enough to eat. He is also a pro at burping and has only spit up once.

Sleeping:
He is a great sleeper! He naps regularly and while he sometimes fights the urge to sleep, once he does fall asleep, he is a deep sleeper so I don’t really need to tip toe around him. His favorite places to sleep are in his bassinet, on my chest or on his boppy but I only let him sleep on the boppy if I’m next to him…just in case! He makes all kinds of funny noises when he sleeps too…grunts, snorts, snores, coos, etc.  As I mentioned before, he’ll usually nap between feedings, sometimes he stays awake and hangs out, but he takes a long nap around lunch time for about 4 hours. It’s a nice break for me.

Health/Milestones:

Birth:
Height: 22 inches
Weight: 7lb 4oz.

9 days:
Height: 22.25 inches
Weight: 7lb 13oz.

17 days:
Height: 22.25 inches
Weight: 9lbs! (I weighed him on my scale, so this isn’t 100% accurate, but based on his size, I believe it!)

Despite his rough start on life, he is an extremely healthy baby and as far as I can tell, he is exactly where he needs to be at almost 3 weeks old. He makes eye contact, he is very alert, he turns his head towards noises/face, and he has a whole ton of facial expressions that he tests out throughout the day! He has smiled a whole bunch of times, and today he even laughed! Although I don’t think he laughed consciously…I think it was more reactive…possibly gas. Oh well, he’ll be laughing soon!
We started tummy time last week. I’m starting off with him on my chest. He is so good at it and has such strong little neck muscles! He can lift his head for about 3-5 seconds and turn it both ways. He lifts very well, but is still learning to control lowering his head without slamming it back down on my chest.

Size:

He still wears newborn size diapers and newborn size clothes fit him perfectly. He is slowly growing into the 0-3 month size clothes, but they are still a bit big on him.

Activities:
There isn’t a whole lot you can do with a newborn considering how much they sleep, but everyday we do the following:

Hang out and talk (aka I just ramble on to him in my baby voice)
Listen to music as I sing to him
Tummy time
Play mat time
Walk around the block
Sit outside once it’s cooler out
Sponge bath
Read a few books together
FEED



Updates:

Circumcision is completely healed, and 90% of the umbilical cord has fallen off! Yay! (That thing was really nasty) I developed mastitis in my right boob. SO painful, but now I’m on antibiotics so hopefully within a couple of days it will be all gone.

Overall, I am LOVING life with Mr. Michael at home with me. He is a beautiful baby and is perfect in every way! I love the time we spend bonding and I could stare at him for hours on end. He has grown so much these last 2.5 weeks and part of me wishes he could stay a cute little baby forever. I love him SO much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment