Friday, December 7, 2012

Crocheting - a new hobby?

Even though I have found myself super occupied 99.9% of my day (mostly with my precious baby boy), I decided that I wanted to find a new hobby...something on the creative side...I just didn't know what. Someone on my BBC birth board posted pictures of a beautiful little hat she had crocheted for her daughter and a youtube video that showed step by step instructions on how to do it. I figured I would watch the video and if I felt I understood each step well enough, I would go out and get the necessary items to make M a little hat. I was never a good sewer nor was I ever really into the whole knitting scene so I had my doubts. The video made it all seem easy enough so I decided to give it a go. Off we went to AC Moore. I picked out the correct crochet hook and some yarn. (I had no idea yarn came in different thicknesses!) 

After Michael went to bed, I set myself up on the couch in front of the fireplace, put on some christmas music, and pulled up the youtube video. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but soon enough, I was on a roll. Little did I know, the blue yarn ball was becoming a giant knot and I had to stop for the night. I enlisted the help of my dad and 2 hours later we managed to untangle the entire thing...120 YARDs of yarn!! I finished the hat the next morning and sewed on a little pom pom! Unfortunately it is a bit big for Michael's head, but it should fit him next year probably. I felt so inspired after that, that I actually made a second hat in a different color scheme which fits him perfectly! I still need to attach the pom pom though...check it out! 


Here is a link to the youtube video I used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3K9nbkOwJQ 

For those of you that are curious, I used a size M(13), 9mm hook and Size 5 yarn...although I think I should have probably used size 4 instead.

Finished product!!

I really don't think I have ever been so proud of myself! While I don't think I'm going to go pro with crocheting, I definitely want to continue for fun and perhaps make a blanket or a little scarf to match his hats :)

The second hat I made.. slightly different style/color scheme. As I mentioned earlier, I still need to attach the white pom pom. Between these two hats, I used both balls of yarn. (120  yds each) That's a lot of yarn! Hopefully I'll be able to find some cheaper yarn at Walmart so I can keep up this little hobby!


No comments:

Post a Comment